Thursday, October 8, 2009

Counting to 800...

Jilly's blood was 309 tonight and we were told that we had to do a half correction for anything over 300 at bedtime. Poo! But I really didn't want to do an injection as it's so close to the line. Then I remembered this book which I read in the hospital. It helped me keep my sanity during that stressful time. So R bought us our own copy:

One of the tips is to run around the house to lower blood sugar. A messy split entry isn't really a good running house. So I had Jilly jump on the mini trampoline while counting to 800 (her choice on the number). We then retested her and her blood was at 250! Much better. The mini trampoline has always been useful for getting her to exercise a bit more, but now with T1D I think it'll be a great tool for the winter. We have her bed up on blocks and store it under the bed when not in use.

So another new rule in the house is:

When BS is high jump.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog this morning and just wanted to say hello. I have a 2.5 yr old son who was diagnosed at 15 months and we are also in Seattle. I hate bedtime half corrections myself and will have to remember to get Addison to jump around some in the future when his blood sugar is running high!

    ReplyDelete